This is how we put the “lava” in “lavar.” Okay, that is only really funny if you speak Spanish…and you like stupid puns. I am guessing that is a really small demographic. Oh well. I never promised that this blog would actually succeed at being funny.
Anyway, this is an oldie, but goodie. It is also one of my kids’ favorites and I sometimes use it to bribe them to take a bath. I work from home, run a house, and raise two kids, so I like to keep things easy. So if it is going to be messy, we do it outside or in the bath! You can then just rinse everything down the drain afterward!
- Pie tin
- Baking soda
- Red food coloring
- Liquid dish soap
- A large measuring spoon or soup spoon
- Pour about a cup of baking soda into a pie tin and spread it out all over. It helps to have one for each child so that there isn’t any fighting.
- Fill a cup up with about two cups of vinegar, a few drops of food coloring (so that it looks red like lava!), and a few drops of dish soap.
- Give each child the pie tin and the cup and show them how to scoop a little of the vinegar onto the baking soda at a time using the spoon. They will love watching it bubble and foam!
- If you are in the tub, you can wash it all down the drain once you are done!