Pygmy Puff Keychain Tutorial With Pom Pom Keyrings
A couple of years ago, my kids and I started making our own versions of the souvenirs we found at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios. One of the things we started out with was a simplified pygmy puff kid craft. We loved them so much, I decided to make a pygmy puff keychain that was a little more sophisticated.
I didn’t think the pygmy puff keychains they sold at Universal Studios looked anything like the pygmy puff in the movie. So I decided to design my own. And they are so easy!
My version has puffier hair, bigger eyes, and a stubbed-nosed face.
Pygmy Puff Keychain Tutorial
Pygmy Puff Keychain Directions
1. Cut out the felt according to the pattern. Size the pattern according to the size of your pom pom. For this size, I sized the photo at 25% when I printed it from my printer.
The circles in the pattern are if you want to make the pygmy puff version with felt eyes.
2. Cut two little holes in the face felt for the eyes to go through. Push the back of the eyes through the hole.
Secure the eyes by pushing on the backing.
If you are using the felt eyes, you will want to add the white by making two French knots in each eye before you hand stitch them to the face.
3. Sew the ears to the face by tucking in one side a little and hand stitching it.
4. Using the embroidery floss, sew the nose by making three French knots right next to each other. Then add the stitching for the mouth.
5. Place the face on the puff keychain in a place that works well with the natural cowlicks of the pom pom. Hold it in place by placing some sewing pins through the face and into the puff like a pin cushion. Then hand stitch the face on to the puff. The fur will make it hard to get really neat stitches, but the fur will also cover up any imperfections. The fur from the keychain will make the face automatically puff out. And I like how the stitches make the face look a little wrinkly like the one in the movies.
Which is your favorite? The felt eyes or the blue eyes?
And I had to stick one in a cage, just like they do at Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes!
I have heard their favorite places to cuddle are on top of Harry Potter books. Don’t worry, she is potty trained.